we are trying to get this boy off his binki, right now he can just have it in his bed. any tips? he doesn't fall for the 'sending it to a new baby' or the 'baby animal needs it' tricks. maybe he'll just stop needing it but he's super attached.
i go through this battle with each kid. cameron, i gave the to the hippos whether he wanted to or not. swiper stole isaac's. but he now steals macey's constantly and bites holes in them while sucking on them. i say, they aren't going to have them til they are 12. don't stress over it too much. and don't worry about what everyone else thinks. people think they know everything. kids aren't going to die if they have a bottle until they are 4 or have a binki til they go to kindergarten. it's not the end of the world. :)
I hate to admit it, but I had mine until I was 4! I was at Joyschool and one of my "friends" said, "Dede still has a pacifier...she's s baby!" Right then and there, I took it out of my mouth and threw it in the trash. I did NOT like being called a baby. But, I've heard someone say that they slowly cut pieces of the nipple off until there was nothing left. So, over the course of 4 weeks it went from a full nipple to nothing. It worked for her. Good luck! I don't look forward to the day where I have to do the smae thing with Oliver.
So Thing 1 had his until he turned 4. We told him that 4 year olds are big boys and no longer babies, and he would have to give us all the binkis and trade them for birthday gifts. I had so much anxiety about this cause he was such a binki baby--but only in his bed. Well, come the night before birthday, he just handed them over, not another peep said about it. He didn't even ask for them the next night. All that anxiety I had for nothing! I think it helped that we talked up his birthday presents alot that year.
Thing 2's fourth birthday is quickly approaching and we have warned her the same thing is going to happen for her. She made up this whole elaborate story about a fairy coming to take them away. whatever works for her. I am anticipating an easy give up for her as well. I think part of the ease comes with the late age. By 4, they aren't really using the binkis too much while they sleep, so it's easier than taking them away when they are younger.
Anyway, it's what worked for us. Binkis only in the bed until 4. Good Luck!
wish i had some tips... but he sure looks cute with his cowboy hat, no clothes and his binki. june has recently become attached to her binki, and although i don't let her have it all day--like she would probably like--i try not to make it a power thing and not a big deal.. then try to sneak it out of her mouth a minute later when she is distracted. who knows, she'll probably get smarter about it as she gets closer to van's age.. so glad i have you to call when i'm at that point.
I was going to suggest attacking his masculinity ("binkies are for babies," etc.) but since he's already wearing/embracing the Village People ensemble (and just killing it!) that tactic may not work. Good luck.
Thanks for the tips and support everyone. The swiper idea is hilarious! And Amy that makes me feel so much better that they just handed them over willingly. And Dede that is sad but at least it worked for you and it makes me feel better you still had one at that point it makes me feel less in a hurry.
I cut a slit in Gavin's...it doesn't work when there is a hole in it so he just threw it away. Avery, it came down to bribery...I baked her a cake. Cheesy I know but it worked. She cried for at least 5 nights but soon got over it. Good luck!
oh man. violet is just as attached. whenever she gets hurt does she want a hug from me? no way! she cries for her binky and banky! (binky and blanky)... her two comforts. I have no say in the matter ;) but someday soon I'm going to have to get her off it too, so i like all these tips. And Dede's story is awesome. And paige! I love the cake idea too :)
so hard! i have heard of people that throw out all of the binkies but 4 or so.. then get 4 big presents.. put them out where he can see and explain he can trade for one. He will prob do one quickly. then it may take weeks or days for the others but then he is done! :)
14 comments:
i go through this battle with each kid. cameron, i gave the to the hippos whether he wanted to or not. swiper stole isaac's. but he now steals macey's constantly and bites holes in them while sucking on them. i say, they aren't going to have them til they are 12. don't stress over it too much. and don't worry about what everyone else thinks. people think they know everything. kids aren't going to die if they have a bottle until they are 4 or have a binki til they go to kindergarten. it's not the end of the world. :)
I hate to admit it, but I had mine until I was 4! I was at Joyschool and one of my "friends" said, "Dede still has a pacifier...she's s baby!" Right then and there, I took it out of my mouth and threw it in the trash. I did NOT like being called a baby.
But, I've heard someone say that they slowly cut pieces of the nipple off until there was nothing left. So, over the course of 4 weeks it went from a full nipple to nothing. It worked for her.
Good luck! I don't look forward to the day where I have to do the smae thing with Oliver.
I wish I could, but Myla is my first to even use one (and I love it!). Are you saying they end up being a bad thing? :)
So Thing 1 had his until he turned 4. We told him that 4 year olds are big boys and no longer babies, and he would have to give us all the binkis and trade them for birthday gifts. I had so much anxiety about this cause he was such a binki baby--but only in his bed. Well, come the night before birthday, he just handed them over, not another peep said about it. He didn't even ask for them the next night. All that anxiety I had for nothing! I think it helped that we talked up his birthday presents alot that year.
Thing 2's fourth birthday is quickly approaching and we have warned her the same thing is going to happen for her. She made up this whole elaborate story about a fairy coming to take them away. whatever works for her. I am anticipating an easy give up for her as well. I think part of the ease comes with the late age. By 4, they aren't really using the binkis too much while they sleep, so it's easier than taking them away when they are younger.
Anyway, it's what worked for us. Binkis only in the bed until 4. Good Luck!
We are about to have the same battle. If you find something that works, let me know. Good luck!
not precious! you're gonna have to cut it day by day like mom had to do to zack. holy moly i miss you guys.
wish i had some tips... but he sure looks cute with his cowboy hat, no clothes and his binki. june has recently become attached to her binki, and although i don't let her have it all day--like she would probably like--i try not to make it a power thing and not a big deal.. then try to sneak it out of her mouth a minute later when she is distracted. who knows, she'll probably get smarter about it as she gets closer to van's age.. so glad i have you to call when i'm at that point.
No advice here- but, Dede's is pretty awesome- just had to say that that picture of Van is awesome!
I was going to suggest attacking his masculinity ("binkies are for babies," etc.) but since he's already wearing/embracing the Village People ensemble (and just killing it!) that tactic may not work. Good luck.
Thanks for the tips and support everyone. The swiper idea is hilarious! And Amy that makes me feel so much better that they just handed them over willingly. And Dede that is sad but at least it worked for you and it makes me feel better you still had one at that point it makes me feel less in a hurry.
I cut a slit in Gavin's...it doesn't work when there is a hole in it so he just threw it away. Avery, it came down to bribery...I baked her a cake. Cheesy I know but it worked. She cried for at least 5 nights but soon got over it. Good luck!
oh man. violet is just as attached. whenever she gets hurt does she want a hug from me? no way! she cries for her binky and banky! (binky and blanky)... her two comforts. I have no say in the matter ;) but someday soon I'm going to have to get her off it too, so i like all these tips. And Dede's story is awesome. And paige! I love the cake idea too :)
p.s. I miss you guys.
p.s.s. he looks so cute!
so hard! i have heard of people that throw out all of the binkies but 4 or so.. then get 4 big presents.. put them out where he can see and explain he can trade for one. He will prob do one quickly. then it may take weeks or days for the others but then he is done! :)
Post a Comment